Coriolanus

Just a quick post. This is more for me than for a wider audience. (Back to how online blogging originally was. A little journal that others may peer into.)

I recently finished reading Shakespeare's Coriolanus. I don't have much to say about it. I'm mainly sharing here as it's an easy way of keeping track of what I have and haven't read. It was a good play and I enjoyed it, though not to the extent that I normally enjoy reading Shakespeare. I felt it lacked a little bit of magic.

The most notable thing about the play is that historically it's been popular with fascist audiences. Apparently it has the rare status of being the only play to be banned by a modern democracy. It being banned by the Americans in occupied Berlin after World War II. Supposedly for being such a Nazi favourite. The preface to the version I read also notes that in Paris, in 1934, the Comédie-Française was shut down by police after a production of the play became a focal point for right-wing protests and riots.

The play definitely has a slight anti-democratic lilt, and I can see why people of a fascist ilk would be drawn to it. Overall it's quite fair though, and could just as easily be read as a warning against mob rule in general. Or even just as an impartial observation. Illustrating the story (Coriolanus is a real historical figure from 5th century BC Rome, though his actual existence is contested), without necessarily taking a side.

Though it must be noted, the 'Tribunes of the People' (Sicinius and Brutus - the enemies of Coriolanus) are most certainly portrayed as the villains. So Shakespeare definitely doesn't place those who mislead and rabble-rouse the plebs in a good light.

Comments

Popular Posts